Friday, May 8, 2009

Story: Understanding the Greatness of a Tzaddik


In 1777 Rebbe Menachem Mendel, along with disciple Rebbe Avraham, and 300 followers; emigrated to the Land of Israel, settling in Tzfas.

In 1783 they left Tzfas and moved to Tiveria. Rebbe Menachem Mendel of Vitebsk, a student of the Baal Shem Tov, explained why he left Tzfas, and moved to nearby Tiberias:

"The air in Tzfas is very pure, and at night I could hear the angels calling out from heaven, for the world to do Teshuva.
It disturbed my sleep so much, that I had to leave."
_________

1. Rebbe Schneur Zalman (about Rav Menachem Mendel): "I once saw him when he was giving audience, and I realized that everything that the person seeking his council, had done in his life was known to him."

2. Rebbe Schneur Zalman continued: "I then realized, that not only could he see all his actions in this present lifetime; but he also was aware of all of the person’s previous incarnations, since the six days of Creation."

3. Finally, Rebbe Schneur Zalman said: "In the end I realized, that not only could he see his past actions, and past incarnations; but he could also see everything that this soul was destined for in the future, until the coming of the Moshiach and after..."